Friday, May 18, 2007

Finally!

Yesterday, after many years of papers and tests I finally received my Bachelor of Arts from Temple University.

My college journey began in 1989, and along the way life and its many adventures intersected with my academic career. I did not realize the importance of having a four year degree until I was laid off in 2002. I was working in information technology as a database administrator for a firm in Norristown, PA. While collecting unemployment and consulting, I found my job search hindered by the very fact that my resume lacked a degree. I was frustrated since my resume showed the culmination of over 10 years of experience in IT. So, in 2003 I decided to seriously pursue my education.

I had a handful of credits to my name, and since the last time I went to class was in 1995 they were still good. I believed I would pursue a degree in computer science, but after taking a history and a philosophy course that route seemed not so interesting anymore. I changed focus to history, and when I attended Temple I declared history my major and minored in philosophy.

Some would ask, "What are you going to do with a that degree?" Well, as the cliche goes, just about anything. Honestly getting my degree was not in vain, because I did learn a lot about myself and the world. My future plan is to attended Drexel University for a Masters in Library and Information Science. However, first I need to pay down some of my student loans, so I will be looking for work in IT again.


No comments:

Post a Comment